Monday, September 14, 2009

JLP



So as of this past weekend I am an official "member in training" of the Junior League of Philadelphia!

After my first provisional meeting it doesn't sound as "hoity toity" as you would assume. I'm sure, like with everything, I'll be dealing with social and political B.S. somewhere along the way if I stay in for the long-run. But I think this is going to be a really great opportunity.

The JLP's missions is "an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving the community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable".

Growing up my family and school has always promoted voluntarism and giving back to the community. I've volunteered with A Chance to Heal foundation for a few years now and although I truly believe in their mission, I really felt it was time for me to take on another venture (hmm... in my "free" time?!?). I think that the JLP will be a good segue for me in regards to getting more involved with volunteering and the non-profit sector.

On another note, I think it will be really good for me on a personal level. As talkative as I can be.. I can get really nervous and panic about social situations if it's something new to me. In college my roomie and I referred to it as SAD (Social Anxiety Disorder) and then a few years later they actually came out with a medicine for it, haha... no I'm not on it!!!

I think this will be a good way to meet new people, not looking for a new bff, but open my horizons, put myself out there, engage in different types of conversations or social events I wouldn't otherwise be apart of. I'm hoping it will help me step out of my comfort zone and try some new things I have been thinking about.

There is definitely a time commitment to it, but it doesn't seem too intrusive. Looks like I'm trading in my soccer shinguards and cleats for casual business dress and gardening gloves... haha jk!

I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment