Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Every Step of the Way

I'm sure we have all heard the expression that goes something like "people come in and out of our lives for a reason"... well I believe that is true but also with experiences or realizations!

For example I am probably one of the most indecisive people I know. When we were at dinner with some family a few weeks ago my brother said "I have never met a group of people that cannot decide what they are going to eat for dinner like our family" and then some wise a** comment like "the UN makes decisions faster than we do" and it is so true!

Part of my indecisiveness is that I want to try and please everyone.. if it's just me then I can make a decision in .5 seconds! I know what I want to do... but if it involves anyone else that is when I start to "panic"- what do they want to do, do they like what I want to do, I don't want to be too pushy, etc. etc. It used to drive my husband mad!! I have gotten a lot better, but I am still VERY indecisive! But at least I know where it comes from.

And I am smart enough to know that "you can't please all of the people all of the time", BUT I can't help wanting to try! But it will and does drive me mad and ends up blowing in my face... I TRY to please people and in the end it backfires... you would think that would be "somebody's" way of  telling you something haha!

I think of all of the wonderful mommy role models I have in my life and the one thing they have in common is that they take care of their family first!  They have a TON of extended family, friends, acquaintances, play groups, etc. that they all participate in and are committed to, but no matter what they put their kids and husbands first and that is so admirable!

A wise woman once said to me... being a mom is like being a person.. you do your best and sometimes you will be great at it and sometimes you won't be so great, but if you do what YOU FEEL is RIGHT and BEST for your family than that is all that you can do. It is so true... I want to really try to stand by the choices and decisions I make for my family and my little bumpkin because I know I am not perfect, but I'm only doing what I feel is best for little George"y" or Georgette (haha don't worry those are NOT our kids names) and I am sure that other family members, friends, and parents are not going to agree or even approve of my parenting style (you mean spanking isn't OK anymore? J/K) but I can't worry about that... I have to be a strong mom and know that I am doing the best I can. Which means I need to put even MORE  thought (if possible) into making sure that my decisions regarding our child do come from the heart and in a "ready, aim, shoot" manner  because the results and consequences of my actions and decisions go far beyond myself now!

Just a cool "realization" I have been thinking about that I wanted to share... and hoping that in putting it out there I can hold myself accountable to it! It's something I wish I had realized and been able to adapt to long ago.. having the confidence in myself and my decisions long before I had a child to look after!

No comments:

Post a Comment