Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What's in a Name?


Wondering where my Blog name came from? Well, the literal translation is "Glass of champagne". What it means to me is so much more than that. Let me start off by saying how fabulous my mother is! We have our normal mother-daughter "issues" from time to time, but she really is a great person. She sings to her own tune... literally! I didn't get to appreciate how wonderful she actually was until our summers in Spain. Now the thing is.... my mom only drinks champagne and it's not cause she's a snob, but after she had me it's the only alcoholic drink that doesn't give her a headache. Well, let's just say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I was lucky enough to "grow up on champagne" and I can honestly say that at least 50% of my friends when they think of champagne probably have a funny store where I'm involved!

The friends of mine that have been lucky enough to vacation in Spain with my family or any Spanish-speaking country for that matter have experienced my mother's infamous "¿Copa de cava, por favor?". This is when she asks our waiter for a glass of champagne, in Spanish, and her tone gets about 10 pitches higher and it's like she sings it to him: "¿CooppPPAAA de CAVA pooouurrr fAVOR?" Now this is when the fun begins, because everyone at the table usually bursts out in laughter, including her! Don’t go feeling bad, because we’re not making fun of her, it’s just the life this occurrence has taken on! My parents have this way about making my friends, especially as we get older, feel very comfortable and we usually end up having these heartfelt and laughter filled hour-long conversations, which usually start with a glass of wine or “Copa de Cava”.

No comments:

Post a Comment