Wednesday, August 26, 2009

HELP... please?!?

Why is it SO hard to ask for help?

Why do we constantly drive ourselves into the ground day in and day out INSISTING we can do things "on our own". Have we NOT learned anything?

I've been thinking about this since last night when "we" were moving our furniture around. Hubby, who is very strong, is trying to lift an old school, 50lbs+, tube T.V. BY HIMSELF! I love him to death, but if he could see how ridiculous he looked trying to lift and carry this thing, I swear he would laugh. I was trying to be supportive, but all I kept thinking is 1- "Does he really think he's going to be able to do this alone?" and 2- "it could be 'funny' if he drops this, not on a toe of course, but then maybe he would learn to LET ME HELP"!

And I'm the worst of them all! I REFUSE to ask for or take people up on getting help! Actually, not entirely true... I am a strong believer in mental health/therapists and self-help books : ) ... In fact I'm always asking others if I can help them, but if they come back with a "what can I bring, can I help (in the kitchen), or what can I do" I blurt out "NOTHING", without even thinking! But I'm really trying to call myself out on it!


Reaching out and asking for help OR accepting others offers to help can actually be super beneficial to our productivity level, rate of success, and mental state of mind (which is obviously the most important)! It could probably relieve a lot of stress, frustration, anger, and poor me attacks! GOSH- I hate when people (including yours truly) play POOR ME!!! But seriously, the more relaxed we are usually means we are a little bit happier, which then means people want to be around us more, which then means... more laughter and GREAT stories!!!! I think people should actually get MORE praise when they ask for help!

So....Go on... try it! I challenge you! Next time someone asks if they can help.. let them. I KNOW.. EEK- did you just cringe the way I did? I'm going to take the challenge too.. hmm maybe hubby will ask to walk the dog before bed tonight, hehe!

Props-
A couple people this week actually asked or took me up on my "offers to help". And I know it had to kill them, because they are true "Rosie the Riviter's", BUT.....You know who you are and I'm so proud of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment