Thursday, August 27, 2009

What do I do, you ask?!?

Not that I feel the need to explain myself, BUT... what I do is actually pretty cool- I'm not going to toot my own horn or anything, but I really just have to stop and think about how lucky I am!

So after graduation I was lucky enough to have the "summer off" and just chillax (yes I just quoted Twilight.. love it!). Once fall came around I had a few opportunities that didn't really pan out or those one or two jobs I could have gotten through "connections" and being hard headed I had to show I "could do it on my own". So, I went to a temp agency and found a job as an "administrative assistant"- PLEASE I WAS THE SECRETARY who LOVED every minute of it.. oh wait MINUS the creepy UPS guy who would bring me chocolate kisses daily with his dirty hands! I actually had to tell my supervisor he made me uncomfortable!

Any-who, I got some offers to follow down the industry my father and brothers had and tried it out for a little bit, but it just so wasn't me. A month or so later I found myself on a plane bound for Panama... where?!? Yes, Panama (Central America), with my dad headed to an International Real Estate Conference. Long story short we spent the next week and a half in and out of hour-long presentations, jeeps traveling down unpaved, bumpy roads, and mucky waters. We learned a lot and saw some really great pieces of land! On the plane back home I told my dad I wanted to manage his real estate investments and although my Veruca Salt charm ("I want the world. I want the whole world. I want to lock it all up in my pocket. It's my bar of chocolate. Give it to me now") didn't work wonders on him, my business plan did!

So, since that day I've been working for my dad and although he's still the boss-man, has way more brains and experience, I can honestly say I feel and am treated (most of the time) like a partner! So still... what do I do? Well I manage most of his, our, and other investors real estate investments (most of these are raw land overseas, but we have a few properties in the US). I definitely got a ton of experience this past summer with being a landlord/property manager- wow! When it rains it pours... let's just say I saw my fair share of contractors, court rooms, and tenants! But it was a great learning experience and now I have a happy boss and happy tenants!! Which makes me... happy!

I get to travel a little bit for work, right now mostly to Panama, and I love it! I love the country, the people, the language (Spanish), and the restaurants! Best restaurants I've been to in a while, hands down! The best part about these trips is not just the confidence that takes over me once I step of the plane, speaking Spanish, or getting all dressed up "cute" for work. It's getting to watch MPM work his magic in our meetings and talk about his strategies afterward over a glass of wine. Then, by the 2nd glass of wine we're having a heart-to-heart! I truly cherish our talks!

Those who know me a little better, know that I am able to make time to do the things I like: meeting a friend for coffee or lunch, working out, seeing my niece and nephew, cutting out on a Friday afternoon to the shore or to my in-laws, playing tennis, taking pup for a walk, having an early glass of wine, or coaching lacrosse.

Figuratively speaking I don't know how I got to where I am today or where I will be going. I can't say Real Estate was my passion growing up or will be in my future. I try to take advantage of the opportunity in front of me, because I don't know how long it's going to be there. I have still have the everyday stresses of being "good enough" and successful enough to keep things running; make my dad proud while he's still here and when he's gone! I feel like I need to take in every word he says (because as annoying as it is he is usually right) and am constantly biting my tongue, because it's truly hard to not fall into the "little girl-dad syndrome".

I know I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, but I can honestly say I work my bum of for it! Maybe not in the "traditional sense", but we don't live in an "old-school" work world anymore. Sometimes I definitely feel like I am being judged by others if a story involves me taking a mid-morning spin class or trip to the grocery store. It used to make me feel really insecure and scared, but now I realize there's no need for me to feel that way. At the end of the day I get my work done and feel as though I have accomplished something! I honestly feel that we are too old to judge one another anymore! Why can't we just appreciate how different each of our lives are, be happy for one another, and hope for success!

Point being- believe in yourself! If you know what you want to do or what you were put here on this earth to do then hats off to you!! SERIOUSLY! But there are so many of us out here that have NO idea what we "want to do when we grow up". It's not as simple as it used to be, the average person has something like 5-15 jobs (I know huge range) in a lifetime!! I think it is so important to look at the "Big Picture" everyone once in awhile, but also take things day-to-day. There's always going to be someone who seems smarter, has a better job, makes more money, has a bigger house, a nicer car, etc. So, we have to be the BEST we can be today. Whatever job we are in, we have to STOP complaining (including yours truly) and give it everything we've got. Especially now, because there are so many people that don't have jobs or have to go back to work! Like, whenever I go shopping and I see "elder" people that have gone back to work (hopefully it's cause their bored and want to learn something knew), but if it's because they have to- retirements gone, no social security, etc. it seriously makes me want to cry!

We have to take advantage of our opportunities. If you don't feel challenged in your job then challenge yourself: go in 5 minutes earlier, stay 5 minutes late, work through a lunch break, read up on some business books (there are a TON of great options out there) to make yourself more knowledgeable. I tell my little lax girls this all the time- everyone has a CHOICE and it's up to us what choices we make. And the current economy is really, really crummy, but don't give up hope! Great Example.. my friend, let's call her "Fabulous in NYC", has had a dream of moving to New York City since college, probably even before! She had to go travel several different routes (literally), jump through several different hoops, work over-time, and skip out on things she probably wanted to do but decided to save money. Well, a couple of years later she was finally able to save her pennies, find an apartment, find a roommate, find a "money-making" job to support her going back to school, volunteer in order to get her foot in the door, etc! She still has a few stepping stones to hit along the way to be where "she wants to be", but she did it.... she moved to New York! She decided long ago it was something she wanted to do and has made it happen! And I know she will be super successful, with whatever she does there! And I can honestly say that everything she has done along the way she has given 110%.

1 comment:

  1. you forgot one thing ... "what you do?" You bring LOVE, LAUGHTER, FRIENDSHIP, TRUST and LOYALTY to all who know you Kirah ... that "JOB" comes so easy for you and for that I am grateful in many, many ways ... mainly that you are my sons BEAUTIFUL wife and that you are my dreamed of daughter-in-law. Many XO's Ma

    ReplyDelete