Friday, August 28, 2009

Morning Fav

Autos: Land Rover Defender SVX


In order to celebrate their 60th anniversary Land Rover came out with an anniversary car in 2008. The issue? It's not "US-friendly" (SANS airbags) and they've only made a few.

They have 2 models:
Defender SVX 90 and the Defender SVX 110.

LR only made 200 Defender SVX 90 's (140 soft top and 60 hard top).




Me? I would definitely go for the soft top!

One of the main attractions of the SVX 90 model? It's a lot more luxurious inside. It has Recardo front seats, an upgraded stereo (sub woofer, Ipod cradel, satellite navigation, alloy shift knobs, etc.). On the outside even though it looks pretty (metallic black paintwork, silver finishings, tubular side steps, front grille, LED rear lights, and 'diamond turned' five-spoke alloy wheels) it's just as qualified to do everything the "old-school" defenders were made to do.

LR's Defender SVX 110 model is just as cool and carries a few more passengers (7) than the SVX 90 Station Wagon hard top model (5). Only 36 were made!!!



Where did this all come from? In high school my friend's older brother LOVED cars and actually knew what he was talking about! One of the cars he had was a Land Rover Defender soft top in RED! Can you say Orgasm?!? OK sorry.. gotta keep it PG-13, but this car was amazing! Since she was my bf and he was a great guy I got to learn a little bit more about the cars.. Actually I had to redeem myself from the first time I went into the body shop, pointed to the MUFFLERS, and said "OH look that car has 2 engines"... oh high school girls are a handful!

Fast forward 10 years later to find out one of our architects in Panama is an avid Land Rover fan and owner. In our numerous LR discussions he told me about this anniversary car coming out (yes he got one!) that I completely forgot about until this past trip down to Panama. Ironically our office down there is across from an LR dealership where we got to learn more about the car!
The car dealer had 3 left and it was very tempting to flush all the money out of our bank accounts and wire it down to the dealership!

The car is selling for a little more than $50,000! If you've done your research to get a '92-'97 LR defender under 50,000 miles is very hard to find and especially at an affordable price. Right in front of us we had this brand new, mile-less, GORG car that kept saying "buy me...drive me...buy me"! The issue? BANNED from the US (because of the air-bag situation). Our goal? To find out if it is even remotely feasible to put airbags in this thing and ship to the US... for under "1 MILLION dollars, wahh ahh ahh"!

A couple can dream... can't they?!?

1 comment:

  1. Lady wood...I have a friend that uses that term instead...

    Great way to start my morning Kirah! A little Copa de Cava (it has totally kept me with an upbeat and positive attitude all week!) and a cup of coffee...wish it was a little copa de cava!

    ReplyDelete