Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Back to School?


How many memories can one day hold? On my morning walk with our puppy, Harley, I had a flash back to high school and those first few days back to school. The morning air was crisp, but not too cool and there was just a calmness over the neighborhood. I remember always being the appropriate amount of "upset" that this time of year had come. We had lost our freedom and were back on a schedule; we traded the outdoors for tiny classrooms; camps for classes; and popsicles for granola bars. On the other hand, I was always secretly relieved to be going back... I loved back to school shopping (even if I wore a uniform), school supplies, soccer season, and most of all reuniting with my friends. Of course there was always a little bit of anxiety, but by 5th period we were all caught up on each others summers and felt reconnected again. As many times as I might have complained or acted like I was being tortured, whenever I think about my experience I always smile and realize how lucky I actually was.

Fast forward to mid-morning. While I was driving, windows down of course, I passed a man walking down the street who was holding a coffee in one hand and a wrapped sandwich in the other. I first wondered what his story was: was he a utility worker taking a mid-morning break; a stay-at-home husband/dad who ran out to grab a bite; a student; or just a man on his way home from his usual morning coffee run? Then immediately my mind wandered to the beginning of junior or senior year in college. All of a sudden I was back in College Park, Maryland walking to my mid-morning class with my chai tea latte and "a scooped, toasted, multi with light "cc" (as the woman at Bagel Place used to put it). The weather was usually just right: sun shinning, not too hot or cold, and you felt like were on top of the world. It was "my time": I had my morning routine, I actually "dressed" for class, I had really done my homework, and was looking forward to seeing a few smiling faces.

1 comment:

  1. Kirah, I totally agree! I remember all those same feelings this time every year- esp when I see the bus start picking up the kids at our corner in the morning. I love Fall! The colors, smells, clothes, food...bring it!

    ReplyDelete