Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Cat Nap Criminal


Well it's that time of year again... the days get shorter and the exhaustion gets longer! Somehow I figure it out to function ability, but it can really feel like this dirty little secret that fills up my house!

I rarely don't let myself of the hook from work unless it involves meeting a friend for lunch or exericising- gym, class, dog walk. So, when the winter comes around (even though it's 50 degrees out today) and my SAD kicks in I can't help but to dread 2pm. I get up around 6-6:30am and am working by 7:30am usually at the latest (unless I do a morning spin class) and it is a struggle (i.e. feels more like 2am) and then once I've had my cup of coffee I hit the ground running... that is usually until about 2pm when I can't bare it anymore. Then I struggle with- what to do? Should I eat for energy? More coffee- I don't really dig drinking 3 cups a day, taking a walk around the block (probably what I SHOULD do), or lay down for a 20 minute "cat nap" and whether I fall asleep or not I can get up rejuvenated with a fresh start to work again.

If I do take 20 minutes, literally, to lay down and regroup why do I feel so guilty? If I'm home I never take a coffee or lunch break. And it's a time to focus on ME and really listen to what my body needs. If my body isn't functioning, than how can I? I still feel guilty though, but maybe if I make it part of my day it will just become routine and I won't feel so bad?

I mean realistically thinking what is 20 minutes if it is for the better vs. dragging along and being a 'clock watcher' and unproductive?

No comments:

Post a Comment