Saturday, February 13, 2010

How-to Hair

OK so before I write this blog I must preface it with how ridiculously vain it could be....

I ask that this be an interactive blog so I can get your feedback.... here is my dilemma (and I'm very aware how lucky I am that this is the "worst of my worries" on this lovely Saturday morning I spend with family):

Hair Needs: Hair Cut and Highlights and I could probably use a nice deep conditioning treatment for my locks since I've been swimming lately

Tale of two salons... or three....

For my highlights I usually head over to Gladwyne to the OMG salon. I LOVE the way the stylist, Victoria, gets the color of my hair usually exactly how I want it! I walk in as Spring is Sprung and she knows I want it blonde, blonde, blonde.... and during the winter months she knows I like to "experiment" and "go darker" and doesn't get annoyed with me- which is huge, because how many of us have felt awkward while sitting in that salon chair when we "want to try something different, but don't exactly know what we want and ask the opinion of the stylist... who wants direction. For awhile they had "Recession Rates" and on Thursdays was the discounted highlight day. As of yesterday when I called apparently our recession is "over" or just their rates are over- boo!

My haircut has always been a struggle since I've had to pay for it (haha) because it is SO expensive and it doesn't matter how much you are getting taken off.. i.e. I like the idea of a trim, but to pay $65+ for a trim is CRAZY!!! So for awhile with trims I'd go to Hair Cuttery or some cheaper salon and for my big cuts would go to my salon of choice. Now... I've been going to a salon that uses Kerastase products so when I go biannually I always get a hair mask/treatment and it has worked for me!

NOW the dilemma.... I NEED BOTH and ASAP!

So before I ask "what do I do?" let me introduce another "option"...

Thanks to a friend I found this great hair stylist who was very reasonable for coloring and cuts! So up until my wedding I was using her pretty frequently. Then she left her salon and was doing everything out of her home- which was great (cheap, flexible hours), but it took about 20 minutes to get there (not ideal but could be worth saving the funds). I don't know why I stopped going, but it just faded out.

Now all this being said I can't even get my hair blown dry any more because salons barely include it with the cuts and highlights (so ridiculous)!

The Big Picture question is do I continue with my OMG highlights, Jay Michael Hair Cuts and Treatments trading back and forth or do I go back to Jill for a "one stop shop" and cheaper job?!?

The more immediate question is what do I do THIS WEEK? I have an appointment on Thursday for OMG for highlights...

* Do I make a separate appointment at Hair Cuttery for earlier in the week with this stylist (who left OMG) that my friend referred me to?
* Do I call OMG and just get my hair cut while I'm there and fork over the $$ for convenience?
* Do I go to Jay Michael Salon and do my haircut, Kerastase treatment, and then go to OMG for highlights?
* Do I call Jill to see if she has any openings and go back with my tail between my legs?!?

Decisions... Decisions.......

SURVEY SAYS?!??!?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kir! I had to laugh when i read this blog - as i have been having the same dilemma! I lovvvved kerastase treatments - they last for AGES and somehow manage to make my super fine hair soft without making it greasy and heavy. I was going to a salon to get a cut and half head of foils - when you combine that with a treatment and blowdry it was coming out at well over $300AUD. CRazy! I loved what they were doing but when i stopped to think about it and realised i was getting my hair done every 6 weeks, and spending almost as much on that as I do on groceries I thought something had gotta change!

    My mum had a lady that used to do her hair in a salon, and had a baby - so is now doing it from her/your house. She costs roughly a third of what I was paying at the salon (and i got a full head instead of half) - but I was worried about missing out on my treatment and also having a lack of colour choices. The first time I went my lowlights were a little dark - but she was right in saying that after 2 washes i would love them since they fade so quickly. Now she knows the colours that I like and I am totally happy with the colour I get - and even more happy with the impact on my bank balance! I even went to another salon and bought the kerastase treatments which I apply at home. They are not quite as good as the ones in the salon but they are still amazing (i have a box of little tubes that last for 3 treatments - or 9 weeks)http://www.kerastase.com.au/products/resistance/for-weak-and-damaged-hair/forcintense.aspx this is them - although it does say weekly? I guess they need to drum up sales!

    Anyway summing up my crazy long response - i vote for the at home lady. The drive is totally worth it - and you can always get the kerastase treatment at home if you love the way it feels on your hair!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Kirah, No pun intended .. but there are a few things that I have thought about in reference to your "dilemma" (which) I don't see it as a dilemma.I see it as a decision that you feel you have to make for yourself. I remember when I would go to every salon in the area looking for that miracle stylist that was going to turn me into "runway model material". Well, in my neck of the woods I never found her or him .. but it does sound as though you have been satisfied with a few. I have this suggestion - As my life grew busier & busier I found myself asking the stylist that I was satisfied with for a hair-cut ( I had natural straight hair and there was only so much one could do for that other than a "PERM" which stunk to high heaven & was very costly at that time for our family, therefore, only was able to maybe havea perm twice a year) come to my house. I've walked your path .. had the cheapest guy in town, the utmost upscale guy in town, and the stylist for which I went to her house ordeal. Until one day, I made an offer to the stylist which I was more than grateful that I could trust not to give me a military haircut no matter what the cost" or a perm than cost me $$$$'s that failed .. to come to my house. I had many reasons. 1. My stylists had children and of course, going to her house meant that I did not come first (even though she said I did) but children will be children and if they needed her she went & understandably so. Then it was her husband too, he was more like a larger version of their children..then the dog..then the phone I think you kinda get the idea. When I suggested that she come to my place .. this gave her the opportunity to 1. get away & give herself some down time, even though she was "working". It allowed her to keep all the $$$'s that she charged .. whether or not she was stuffing it in her pocket or being honest to Uncle Sam .. that is her business .. trust me .. I've had a few moments where I wasn't so honest with that Sam fellow (hehe) her and my time was based on making sure it was not only a non-distracting time but quality time for each of us to share a moment of "it's OK" .. We created a bound of trust .. that was very healthy for the two of us. I knew & she knew as well that the time ticked away so fast that I prayed I had more hair just so that we didn't have to wait another 6-8 wks to finish our always "interesting" conversations. This is just a thought .. but to answer your question ... You must decide what is good for Kirah ... in the long run it is your hair that you wear everyday .. your wallet that only you know if its do-able or not regardless which choice you make $$ is $$ .. there may come a day where even the Hair Cuttery resorts to the DO-IT-YOURSELF syndrome ... I can say this...up/down, curly/straight, light or dark .. I love you for what is inside rather than the out .. You look MARVELOUS always on the outside Kirah .. & you exceed that on the inside .. Many XO's

    ReplyDelete