Wednesday, July 28, 2010

How Selfish is Selfish?

I try to write this in the least emotional way possible, but it is a topic I have been thinking about for awhile. I definitely think there are varying levels of selfish.

 On one extreme you have someone that only thinks about themselves naturally.. they can't help it and most of the time don't even notice they are 'doing it'- talking only about themselves, doing only what they want to do and how they want to do it, put themselves firs etc. On the other end of the spectrum you have the person that is always putting others first and you encourage them to "be selfish" and do something for themselves/take time for themselves.

Taking it one step further... some people are constantly and consistently "selfish" and then the majority of us go in spurts.

Have you ever been called selfish? I definitely have.. usually when the opposing person is mad or in a fit of rage (luckily not recently!). To me it's really offensive, because I do not consider myself selfish at all and the fact that someone else apparently would see me that way is extremely hurtful. So then why do we make judgments on others for being selfish? Isn't that being a little contradictory? I've unfortunately caught myself doing it twice this week. But who am I to judge? I think it's OK to call it like it is but using definitive words like "always" (even if it's just thinking it in your head) is unfair to categorize someone, but we tend to do this when we are upset.

No comments:

Post a Comment