Thursday, July 29, 2010

Commiting to Commitment

Why is it so hard for people to commit? Now I'm not judging I'm solely voice my opinion. I am definitely guilty of being a commitment-phobe at one point or another... whether it was a date to dance, a relationship, college, or Friday night plans... we've all done it... But why?!?

And in our more mature age, why are so many of us still so weary to commit to something?!? Is it the idea that something "better" may come up and then we will miss out? I know it's said but back in high school, college, and even post-college up until I got married... or if we're being honest, got distant from certain friends... where I really grew out of it (I think... at least the majority of my panic).. It's YOUR life.. LIVE IT! However, either commit to something or don't... you usually know right away whether you want to participate. Just don't leave people hanging OR worse off bail. Obviously we don't have a crystal ball to foresee the future so stuff comes up, no big deal...

Where is this coming from? I was just thinking how I'm "Patty Planner" in an O.C.D sort of way and I'm OK with that. However, I NEED to make plans with people in advanced or otherwise I don't see people or get anything done. It's so easy to get caught up in every day life of work, family, etc. that if something isn't on my calendar I'll forget OR just not do it. I know it sounds really sad to schedule a lunch or dinner date with a friend 2-4 weeks in advanced but it's what I have to do to keep me sane and organized... and seeing my friends... otherwise I'd be on the couch every night with a Hope's Blend in watching "Pretty Little Liars" on ABC Family, which is OK with me too :) .

So how long is too long to plan in advanced? I mean weddings they say send out invitations 6-8 weeks ahead.. I had mine out 10, haha, which is a little overkill but it was summer and I was so excited. What about a get together or party with several people? When is too early to ask friends and family to commit? Is there a section in Emily Post's etiquette books on this. Personally I say the earlier the better- now I'm not saying ask friends what their plans are for New Year's Eve.. but I think asking a few months in advanced if you are planning a get together is good.. that way first come first serve... people usually don't have anything on their calendar so they can commit.... or will they?

No comments:

Post a Comment