Friday, December 3, 2010

Nike Commercials

I seriously LOVE Nike and Gatorade commercials!!! Maybe it's because being an athlete I love how they get to the core of why we play! There is so much hoop-la around sports these days that sometimes it actually DOES ruin the game!

For example- Lebron James is a GREAT basketball player, but as things go these days- great athletes become celebrities and they take on OTHER roles besides their "job" on the court, the field, the diamond, etc. They have a responsibility to uphold even when they are NOT playing "their game". Like it or not, that is modern day sports and when you sign that contract that is what you sign up for!

Obviously NOT many people were too thrilled when Lebron left the Cavs for the Heat, but it is what it is... people move on and what was good for someone at one stage in the career may not be as they progress or get older! Last night when Lebron returned home to play the Cavs the fans weren't very nice (I'm just glad he didn't get shot), BUT he made a statement "scoring" 38 points! Sayyyy WHAT!

My friend just sent me the Lebron James Nike Commercial. I hadn't seen it yet, but I liked it, because I think it brings you back to... he is a person who just wanted to play basketball and be a hero... a legend... but in modern day society all of the other "stuff" and celebrity-isms that go along with being a famous athlete these days. But HE IS A PERSON and probably deals with internal conflict just as you and I do... The only issue is that he comes off so FULL of himself and I hate that. Is that him or is that the "persona" he is trying to be or THINKS he needs to be. You look at some of these other athletes and you just want to say PLAY THE GAME, but in all reality that's NOT sports anymore..... it's just NOT that simple.  I'm not saying is "right or wrong", it just.... "is what it is"... here is the article and commercial: http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/10/25/lebrons-nike-ad-asks-what-should-i-do/.

Now Michael Jordan just came out with a video response to Lebron James, which I like even more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmhHIehsvN0&feature=related. A great athlete makes things look easy and those around him/her often forget the WHY and HOW that athlete is capable of his/her abilities. All the time before and after practice. The concentration it took DURING practice vs. goofing off. Making their own way vs. following the rest of the team. All of the blood, sweat, and tears on AND off the court/field. Many athletes HAVE natural abilities, BUT the best of the best WORK to improve those god-given abilities and that is what makes them great.

I always feel like such a "nazi" (excuse my politically incorrect word choice) when I am coaching, when I harp on my girls to focus or not goof off during practice. It isn't because I don't want to have... gosh if they only new me in high school and college, BUT there is a time and a place. And some of their timing seems to be off. I harp on them because I see a talent or a gift and want they to SEE that in themselves as well. BUT they have to work at it and continue working with it!

SEEING is BELIEVING!

No comments:

Post a Comment