Monday, March 8, 2010

Sun Savvy

OK so one thing I tend to pride myself on is my new ability to wear sunscreen.

Confused? When I was in high school I was one of the girl's that went tanning fall, winter, and spring time long. I loved to be tan and the joy of laying in that bad and falling in and out of sleep for 20 minutes was relaxing (yeah I know weirdo). Then I took it to the next level in college and would actually sit outside for hours on a summer day and if my friend and I truly felt we didn't get enough sun we'd go tanning that afternoon after the sun went down. GROSS I know!

Well unfortunately and fortunately when I was a junior in college I was diagnosed with melanoma (skin cancer)... shocking right? And it wasn't til until years later I actually got "it wasn't all about being tan". Do I think people look and feel better when they are tan... honestly.. yes! But in saying that you can still get a decent amount of color even when applying suitable sun protection!

Since I have been coaching for the past 4 years I'm the one chasing the girls around with me face and body lotion getting them to put it on! My brand of choice? Neutrogena 55-70 face sunscreen and I love their Body Cooling Mist... it's a little pricey and goes quickly, but so worth it!

Yesterday I worked a lacrosse clinic outside and it was gorgeous... the sun was out shining bright and it literally was a great day to be outside. However, I still wore my big, long, puffy north face coat, because the sun hadn't warmed up yet and it was a little breezy. It didn't even cross my mind to put on sunscreen... UH OH.... a mistake I won't make again!!! Just call me Linda the Lobster because my face is RED and ouch does it hurt!

So just a reminder to everyone from this point on remember to break out that sunscreen when outside!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment