Monday, May 9, 2011

Go With Your Gut

I've always sort of felt this way, but I find it even more appropriate now that I'm a mom. I've always been indecisive and it truly is hard for me to make a decision, but every once in awhile I get a "gut feeling" when I'm trying to decide and when in doubt that is usually the best way for me to go, even if I don't choose it.

For example as LITTLE of a decision this was... we went out to dinner with Kingston on Saturday night. The woman asked if we mind sitting at a two person table because there was no wait.. but if we wanted a booth we'd have to wait a little longer because there was a line. For "fear" of waiting or maybe that Kyle didn't want to wait or that the baby would wake up, I said OK... I should have KNOWN neither of us would want to sit at a two person table, haha. It ended up being a wonderful evening and we could have been sitting on garbage cans for all I could have cared.. but would it have been a bit more relaxing and "us" to wait and take the  booth... YES.

Now fast forward to something that actually matters..... my baby! I read a ton of books before Kingston came along and there were definitely questions answered BUT nothing prepared me for those first 6 weeks... even if I had read the answers to all the questions I had it still didn't matter, because it seemed like every occasion was unique. Or now that I have hit the 3-month mark and he begins to change again, then at 4 months, 6 months, 9 months, etc.!! I do truly believe it is good to read and become more knowledgeable, but sometimes you just have to go with your gut.

Kingston's having some fussy time when it comes to napping and he really fights going down. I've tried x; I've tried y.... this morning I tried the crib because he wouldn't go in the swing and let him cry for a few minutes, which I KNEW wasn't going to work for us, but still did it and it ended up being counter productive... it took MORE time to calm him down.... luckily I wasn't upset, but at the end of it all, I felt that I should have just listened to my gut and spent a little extra time getting him asleep in my arms... so for nap numero dos today, what happened... just that and he is perfectly asleep in his swing, like the Kingston I know!

So I guess my point is to keep reassuring myself, any mothers and prospective mothers is that we are ALL different, which means are kids will be different and advice is great when solicited, but we know our children and in the end what is the best for them... so don't doubt yourself and go with what you feel in your gut!

No comments:

Post a Comment